These gorgeous zucchini lasagna rolls were developed by GIR Team member Quyen to meet her new year's resolution of eating more veggies. They just happen to be gluten-free and low carb, and easily made vegetarian. The layered zucchini slices still have a tender bite, and the mascarpone makes the filling creamier and melts a little into the sauce as it bakes. The zucchini layers and roll up method resemble roses that's even more than delicious than it looks!
Prep Time = 40 minutes
Cook Time = 35 minutes
Yield = 4 servings
4 medium zucchini (about 3 pounds), trimmed and peeled into thin slices
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ pound ground Italian sausage
¾ cup part skim ricotta cheese
¼ cup mascarpone cheese
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 large egg
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ cups marinara sauce (homemade or store bought), divided
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
GIR Ultimate Spatula
GIR Y-Handle Flat Peeler
GIR Kitchen Mat
GIR Mini Spoon
10.5x7" Baking Dish or 9" Square Baking Dish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel one side of the zucchini so it can lay flat on the cutting board. Use one hand to hold the zucchini in place and use the Peeler with your other hand for long even slices.
- Line two baking sheets with clean dish towels (a great eco-friendly option in place of paper towels!). Lay zucchini slices in a single layer with minimal overlap onto the prepared baking sheets. Very lightly sprinkle salt over each baking sheet of zucchini. Let it sit for 10 minutes, and blot it dry with another clean dish towel. Flip the zucchini slices over and repeat on the other side.
- Warm a medium skillet over medium heat for a couple minutes, then add the olive oil. Add Italian sausage, and break it up while it cooks. Cook until browned, then drain and discard excess fat.
- In a medium bowl, add the ricotta, mascarpone, Parmesan, egg, basil, and garlic. Stir well with an Ultimate Spatula to combine, and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread 1 cup marinara sauce in the baking dish.
- Take 3 slices of zucchini and overlap them about halfway over each slice. Spread a thin layer of filling, sprinkle with a little of the sausage, and add another 2 slices of zucchini with no overlap. Spread another thin layer of filling (it’s okay if there are some gaps here!) and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella. Roll it up and place upright in the baking dish so that the zucchini swirls are visible. Repeat with remaining zucchini and filling.
- Top the rolls with remaining ½ cup marinara sauce, and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- Place into oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese has melted. Broil for a couple minutes to brown the surface.
- Use a Kitchen Mat as a trivet so the Zucchini Lasagna Rolls can be served at the table. The Mini Spoon is the perfect size to serve the rolls along with some of the sauce. Enjoy!
We like serving this with a hearty country loaf or focaccia on the side to dip in the sauce!
Recipe contributed by Quyen Weng. Interested in more GIR Team recipes? Check out our Smooth & Creamy Cauliflower Soup and our Best Grilled Kebabs!