How Long to Grill Chicken Thighs?
Grilling has become a beloved pastime for many, and chicken thighs are often a top choice when it comes to perfecting the art of grilling.
Let’s explore the ins and outs of grilling chicken thighs to help you always achieve mouthwatering results. Knowing how long to grill chicken thighs is essential for a successful grilling experience and ensuring your dish is flavorful and cooked safely.
So, let's get into everything you need to know about chicken thighs and uncover the tricks to grilling them to perfection.
Why Are Chicken Thighs Great for the Grill?
When it comes to grilling, chicken thighs are superior for several reasons. They deliver incredible flavor and offer versatility and forgiveness on the grill.
Here's why chicken thighs are an excellent choice for your next grilling adventure:
- Flavor: Chicken thighs are known for their exceptional juiciness and tenderness. The slightly higher fat content in chicken thighs gives them a natural advantage over leaner cuts like chicken breast. This extra fat keeps the meat moist and imparts a rich, succulent flavor that grilled chicken enthusiasts crave.
- Versatility: Whether you prefer bold spices, tangy marinades, or a classic BBQ sauce, chicken thighs eagerly soak up the flavors you introduce. They adapt beautifully to a wide range of seasonings and marinades, making them perfect for experimenting with different flavor profiles on the grill.
- Forgiving on the Grill: Grilling can be an art that requires precision and careful attention. However, chicken thighs are more forgiving than other cuts of chicken. The higher fat content helps keep the meat from drying out, even if you accidentally leave it on the grill for a few minutes longer.
What Are the Tips for Grilling Success?
To elevate your grilling game, here are a few tips:
- Preheating the Grill: Before placing your chicken thighs on the grill, ensure that it is preheated to the appropriate temperature. Preheating allows for even cooking and searing, sealing in the flavors and juices. Aim for a medium-high heat for chicken thighs, around 375-400°F (190-200°C).
- Oil the Grill Grates: Prevent sticking and achieve those desirable grill marks by lightly oiling the grill grates. Use a high smoke point oil, such as avocado oil, and a pair of long-handled tongs with a folded paper towel. Gently rub the oil-soaked paper towel over the grates just before placing the chicken thighs on the grill.
- Proper Seasoning and Marinating: To maximize flavor, season your chicken thighs with a combination of herbs, spices, and a touch of salt. If desired, let them marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight in the refrigerator to enhance the taste further. Experiment with different marinades and seasoning blends to discover your personal favorites.
By following these fundamental tips, you'll be well on your way to grilling perfection.
How Long to Grill Chicken Thighs
Let’s get into the specifics of how long to grill chicken thighs, whether they have bones or are boneless.
Bone-In Chicken Thighs
When grilling chicken thighs with the bone, it's important to ensure thorough cooking while maintaining juiciness. Here's a guideline for how long to grill chicken thighs with bones:
- Safe Cooking Temperature: The internal temperature of grilled chicken thighs should reach 165°F (74°C) to ensure food safety. This temperature kills potential bacteria and ensures the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- Cooking Time Estimation: On average, bone-in chicken thighs take about six to eight minutes per side to cook on the grill. However, cooking time may vary depending on the thighs' thickness and the grill's heat. It's important to gauge the cooking time accurately to avoid undercooked or overcooked chicken.
- Monitoring the Temperature: Use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken thighs reach a safe internal temperature. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, avoiding contact with the bone. Once it reads 165°F (74°C), your chicken thighs are ready to be removed from the grill.
Boneless Chicken Thighs
Grilling boneless chicken thighs allows for faster and more convenient cooking. Here's a guideline for how long to grill boneless chicken thighs:
- Recommended Internal Temperature: Just like bone-in thighs, boneless chicken thighs also need to reach an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) for safe consumption. Use a meat thermometer to ensure accurate temperature monitoring.
- Reduced Cooking Time: Since boneless chicken thighs lack the bone's insulating effect, they require less time on the grill. On average, boneless chicken thighs take approximately four to six minutes per side to cook thoroughly. However, adjust the cooking time based on the thighs' thickness and your grill's heat intensity.
- Using a Meat Thermometer: To guarantee accurate doneness, measure the internal temperature of the boneless chicken thighs using a meat thermometer. As soon as the thermometer registers 165°F (74°C), your boneless thighs are ready to be taken off the grill, delivering succulent and safe-to-eat results.
Grilled Chicken Thighs Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12-16 minutes
Serving Size: 4 servings
Try out this simple and delicious recipe for grilled chicken thighs:
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Tools We Used
GIR Tongs: Nylon blades are delicate enough to not damage your nonstick surfaces yet durable enough to grip heavy foods.
- Combine the smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Rub the mixture evenly over the chicken thighs, coating them with the spice blend.
- Let the chicken thighs marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes, allowing the flavors to penetrate the meat.
- Lightly oil the grill grates to prevent sticking.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat (around 375-400°F or 190-200°C).
- Place the seasoned chicken thighs on the preheated grill, bone side down.
- Grill for about six to eight minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C), as measured with a meat thermometer.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken thighs from the grill and let them rest for a few minutes before serving.
Serving Suggestions: Grilled chicken thighs pair well with a variety of sides. Consider serving them with a refreshing cucumber, tomato salad, grilled vegetables, or fluffy couscous.
How To Elevate Your Grilled Chicken Thighs with Tasty Variations
If you want to add an extra flavor to your grilled chicken thighs, experimenting with different seasoning blends and marinade flavors can take your dish to new heights.
Here are a few ideas to inspire your culinary creativity:
- Lemon Herb: Combine fresh lemon juice, minced garlic, chopped fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, and parsley, along with a drizzle of olive oil to create a zesty and aromatic marinade.
- Teriyaki Glaze: For an Asian-inspired twist, mix soy sauce, honey, minced ginger, garlic, and a splash of sesame oil to create a sweet and savory teriyaki glaze.
- Spicy Cajun: Create a bold and fiery flavor by blending paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, and a pinch of salt and black pepper to make a spicy Cajun seasoning.
- Mediterranean Delight: Combine minced garlic, dried oregano, dried basil, lemon zest, olive oil, and a touch of white wine vinegar for a Mediterranean-inspired marinade that infuses the chicken thighs with a burst of freshness.
- Honey Mustard: Whisk together Dijon mustard, honey, apple cider vinegar, minced garlic, and a pinch of salt and black pepper to create a sticky and tangy glaze that caramelizes beautifully on the grill.
Feel free to mix and match these flavor profiles, adjust the quantities of ingredients to suit your taste preferences, and create your very own signature seasoning blends and marinades.
Grilling chicken thighs can result in juicy and flavorful dishes. By understanding how long to grill chicken thighs, you can achieve mouthwatering outcomes that will impress your family and friends.
Enjoy the grilling process, experiment with flavors, and let the aroma of grilled chicken thighs transform your outdoor gatherings.
Looking for more tasty recipes? We’ve got you covered — check out our blog.